The student news site of Kentridge High School

Fleet Street News

The Power of Fiction

Emma Balcom, First Year Reporter

I have read 1,000 deaths and either cried or jumped in joy for each. The death of Sirius Black caused my soul to break and the fall of Bellatrix Lestrange made my heart swell.

Books are more than words on pages, they’re someone’s hopes and dreams poured out for someone to find comfort in.

Books are magic with their way to make us cry and laugh or dance in public after your OTP got together.

The reason for this reaction actually has to do with your brain. Oedb.org tells, “When we read, the brain does not make a real distinction between reading about an experience and actually living it. Whether reading or experiencing it, the same neurological regions are stimulated.”

Novels are capable of going into your emotions and feelings making it like the ultimate virtual reality for the brain.

I am proud to be a book nerd and I know I’m not alone in praising the mighty writing gods/goddesses such as Steven King, J.K. Rowling, and J.R.R. Tolkien.

People have questioned why I cry over books and fictional deaths but that only makes me ask them why they aren’t. An author pulled these words out of their head and put them on paper causing emotions to flood even though they’re millions of miles away, if that’s not extraordinary I don’t know what is.

Being a book nerd gives you a power that others lack. I can say a witting reference with so much sass people stand back and I have a vocabulary like no other.

A study by Stanford University proved that reading the beginning, middle, amd end story sequence, encourages our brains to think in sequence, linking cause and effect. This is the reason neuroscientists want kids to start reading at an early age. By getting a head start the young minds start adapting while the brain has more plasticity, also expanding their attention span.

So be a nerd and be proud because we need more of us so we can one day take over the world with spells and control of the elements.