The student news site of Kentridge High School

Fleet Street News

5 weird sports you probably never heard of

Lada Semenova, 1st Year Reporter

Photo Courtesy of Creative Commons

For ages around the world, people have invented many things to pass times to keep them entertained. Sports have always been a big part of human cultures, with many sports originating centuries ago and being handed down to us today in their modern incarnations. We’re lucky enough to live in a time when a lot of us have a lot of free time, which means we’re constantly inventing and re-inventing sports, so it’s no surprise that the world of athletic competition sometimes takes a walk on the weird side of things, here’s some of them

#1 is wife carrying. This sport is popular in Finland. The sport is an annual competition where husbands run an obstacle course while carrying their wives on their backs. The winner supposedly received his wife’s weight in beer. The most famous competition is held in Sonkjärvi, Finland, where the sport was invented. There are different carrying styles, including piggybacking, firefighter’s carry and the Estonian-style, where the woman hangs upside-down with her legs around the man’s shoulders. The sport has spread to other parts of the world, including the US and Australia.

#2 is, Chess Boxing is exactly what it sounds like — a hybrid of knocking out and checkmating opponents. The battle consists of 11 rounds in which competitors alternate between playing traditional chess and boxing.

#3 is Cheese Rolling Competitors take part in the annual Cheese-Rolling event at Cooper’s Hill in Gloucestershire, U.K. Here is how it works: a large cheese wheel is rolled down a steep hill, and competitors race after it. The first person to reach the bottom of the hill wins the cheese. It may not sound dangerous, but the steepness of the hill has resulted in several injuries.

#4 is called “Extreme Ironing” Competitors who call themselves “ironists” go to a remote location and iron their clothes. The domestic chore has been performed underwater, hanging from cliffs, while skiing or snowboarding and even on top of vehicles.

#5 is Toe Wrestling involves competitors going toe-to-toe. The unusual sport dates back to 1976, when the Britain’s were looking to gain a world sports title. Rules are simple: with socks and shoes off, two competitors interlock their toes and try to “pin” down their opponent’s foot.