The student news site of Kentridge High School

Fleet Street News

5 Foods that Look Healthy But Are Actually the Opposite

Lada Smenova, 1st Year Reporter

There are many foods that might look healthy and sound healthy but they are not.

#1 is breakfast cereal.

Cereals are the worst foods you can possibly eat at the start of the day. They are usually loaded with sugar and refined carbs, which are some of the most fattening ingredients

Starting your day off with a processed cereal will boost your blood sugar and insulin levels. When your blood sugar crashes a few hours later, your body will call for another snack high in refined carbs.

#2 is Fruit Juices

Fruit juices are only healthy when they’re freshly made from a blender. Fruit juices are usually processed and filled with chemicals that make them stay fresh and not go bad. Sometimes its just fruit flavored sugar water.

There may not even be any actual fruit in there… it may just be water, sugar and some chemicals that taste like fruit.

#3 Gluten Free Gluten free is very popular these days.

According to one 2013 survey, a third of Americans are actively trying to reduce the amount of gluten in their diets.

The food manufacturers have jumped on the bandwagon and brought all sorts of gluten-free replacement products to the markets. The problem is that they are usually just as bad as their gluten containing counterparts. These foods are usually made with highly refined carbohydrates, sugar and various chemicals.

#4 Salad Dressings

Most commercial salad dressings contain unhealthy ingredients like high fructose corn syrup and soybean oil. It is much better to make your own

#5 Whole Wheat Bread

Whole wheat bread is usually not made with actual whole grains. It spikes blood sugar just as fast as white bread and can contribute to various health problems