The student news site of Kentridge High School

Fleet Street News

Kentridge Fame: Notable Alumni

Sketcher Ridpath, First Year Reporter

Kentridge High School has been an incredible school to countless people dating back to 1968. Some people that attended here grew up to be really famous.

Firstly, is Ely Allen. He attended Kentridge High School from 1999-2003. After graduating Kentridge, he immediately left for the University of Washington and played college soccer from 2004-2007. Allen was the 21st overall pick in the 2008 SuperDraft. He played for Los Angeles Galaxy in 2008. In 2009, he played for the Seattle Wolves and D.C. United. In 2010 and 2011 he played for the NSC Minnesota Stars. In March of 2012, Allen left the team for unspecified reasons and hasn’t played since.

The next person on the list is Kai Ellis. He attended Kentridge High School from 1994-1998. Five years after High School he was signed by the San Francisco 49ers as an undrafted free agent in 2003. Meanwhile, he played for the Calgary Stampeders. In 2004-2005 he played for the Ottawa Renegades. In 2006-2008, he played for the Montreal Alouettes. For part of 2008 he played for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. In 2009-2010, he played for the Edmonton Eskimos. The last time he played was in 2011 for the San Jose SaberCats. He was the most outstanding defensive player of the year in 2009 out of the entire CFL (Canadian Football League).

Next is Nicole Joraanstad. She attended Kentridge High School from 1994-1998. The same years that Kai Ellis attended. Those must have been some great years for Kentridge. She graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. She is a professional Curler and still Curls till this day. She’s appeared in the World Championship nine times including this year. She also appeared in the Olympics in 2010.

Next is David Patton. He attended Kentridge High School in 1998-2002. This was around the time that Ely Allen went to school. David Patton would be a sophomore when Ely Allen was a Freshman. Became a professional baseball player seven years after attending Kentridge. He only played for sixth months in 2009 and then never played again. His win-loss record was 3-1. His earned run average was 6.83 and he had 23 strikeouts. During this time, he played for the Chicago Cubs.

Next is Brandon Prideaux. He attended Kentridge High School in 1990-1994. While Kai and Nicole were Freshmen, Brandon was a Senior. So far, all the Notable Alumni have been around a certain few years. Mainly around the 80’s and 90’s. He was a professional soccer player. He played for the Seattle Sounders in 1998. In 1999-2001 he played for the Kansas City Wizards. In 2002-2006 he played for D.C. United (this was four years before Allen played for D.C. United). In 2007 he played for the Colorado Rapids. In 2008-2009 he played for the Chicago Fire. From 2010 to the present he’s been an assistant to the University of Washington soccer team.

Next is Mason Tobin. He attended Kentridge High School during 2001-2005. He was a sophomore while Allen was a Junior. He is the youngest so far in this list. He isn’t even thirty yet. He just turned twenty-nine recently. Six years after graduating Kentridge, he signed on with the Texas Rangers. He is still currently playing and will be starting his 6th year next season.

Next is definitely the most popular on the list. He is also the oldest on the list. His name is Marcus Hahnemann. He attended Kentridge from 1986-1989. For his senior year, he attended Newport High School in Bellevue. When Marcus was a Junior, David was a Freshman. Marcus played for the Seattle Pacific Falcons (college team) in 1990-1993. In 1994-1996 he played for the Seattle Sounders. In 1997-1999 he played for the Colorado Rapids. In 1999-2002 he played for Fulham F.C. In 2002-2009 he played for Reading F.C. In 2009-2011 he played for the Wolverhapton Wanderers. In 2011-2012 he played for Everton. In 2012-2014 he went back to the Seattle Sounders. While playing for the Seattle Sounders in 1994, Marcus registered in fourteen games to take the league’s top goalkeeper honors. In the 1996 season, Marcus kept eleven clean sheets and made 119 saves.

You might’ve noticed, all of these Notable Alumni graduated High School. If you ever want to get somewhere in life, you should probably graduate High School.