The student news site of Kentridge High School

Fleet Street News

Tech Expo

Welcome to the Applications of Scientific Knowledge.

Sketcher Ridpath

At the 2016 tech expo, more than 4,200 people showed up to learn about how technology plays its part in education. There were more than eight hundred students and one hundred fifty-four teachers all at one hundred two booths. Last year, the tech expo was obviously a big hit. This year, people attending the event are going to try to make this year’s tech expo an even bigger hit.
The tech expo is a way for the public to see how students use technology to gain college and career skills. At this event, students and teachers stand behind booths and demonstrate how to use their technology while giving commentary. If listening isn’t your style, then you will see that most booths have hands on activities. Activities that vary from using a computer application to playing with remote control robots.
The tech expo will be starting on January 19th, 2017 at 6:00 P.M. and ends at 8:30 P.M. That’s two and a half hours of checking out/using technology. If you are a technological person, this is definitely the type of place you should explore. This is the seventh year that Kent has gathered people for a tech expo at the ShoWare center. Every year so far, the tech expo has drawn in thousands of people. Definitely expect a party if you are deciding to show up.
There were previous tech expo’s. These previous tech expos weren’t placed in the ShoWare center and they were not as big. Hundreds of people would show up to the previous expos and thousands show up to the current expos. There were only four previous tech expos in the past. There were three somewhat recent expos. The 2006, 2007, and 2008 tech expo that were all held at various schools throughout the Kent School District. Some of these school included Lake Youngs Elementary, Carriage Crest Elementary, and Covington Elementary. The fourth expo was held quite a while ago. It took place in 1988. Not much is known about this expo. This expo was most likely held in Kentridge, Kent-Meridian, or Kentwood.
The tech expo will be held in the ShoWare center which is mainly used for hockey games. Ever since 2010(one year after the grand opening of the ShoWare center), the ShoWare center has been used for tech expos. The tech expo has only gathered in enough people to fill up the ShoWare center once in 2015 with a whopping 8,737 people attending. Will this year’s tech expo be a bigger success than the 2015 expo? Will people fill up all of the seats to the ShoWare center? There’s only one way to find out.