The student news site of Kentridge High School

Fleet Street News

Second Semester

The Time Has Come to Do Your Best

Sketcher Ridpath, 1st Year Reporter

In Washington State, only 15% of high school students meet Math standards, 25% of high school students meet English Language Arts standards, and 60% of high school students meet Science standards. On the other hand, 45% of middle school students meet Math standards, 58% of middle school students meet English Language Arts standards, and 65% of middle school students meet Science standards. Why is there such a drastic drop in students meeting standards from middle school to high school?

Some reasons why students could be struggling more in high school is because of larger workloads and now they know that grades actually count. Getting bad grades is worse in high school than middle school because grades actually count once you enter high school.

Larger workloads are a real struggle when students enter high school. 8th grade teachers are supposed to get the students into the feel of larger workloads. They do this, but not to a good enough extent. 9th graders usually don’t get used to the homework load until the second quarter starts. This depends on the person though.

Students that know that grades count can over think things and create useless struggles. This doesn’t happen to as many people though compared to students being stressed over the bigger workload that high school brings. Sadly, this is still a problem.

There are many ways to stop stress which usually leads to struggle. Some ways more effective than others. Some affective ways to limit or completely get rid of your stress are exercise, cut down on caffeine, and set aside some time to relax and do what you love to do.

Exercising is one of the best ways to stop stressing over things because while exercising, the hormone norepinephrine is released causing improved cognitive function and an elevated mood. Going for a quick bike ride or jog can result in immediate stress reduction. Not only does exercising lower stress, but it can also lower depression and anxiety.

Cutting down on caffeine is another good way to deal with stress. This is probably one of the hardest ways of dealing with stress because 119 million Americans are addicted to caffeine. That’s a little bit over 50% of Americas population. Cutting down on caffeine is a good way to limit stress because caffeine alters your brain chemistry. Not drinking the caffeine will stop the brain abnormality’s and most likely stop stress.

Taking time off to relax and do whatever you like to do is a good way to relieve stress because you are taking your mind off of whatever is stressing you out. The stress will come back later once you are done relaxing, so this technique is only good for you if you want a temporary stress removal. This is how most Americans deal with their stress.